Where should I build my new custom home?
The dream for your new home is becoming crystal clear. The big question is: where should you build? Before you shop for a building site, there are a few crucial steps that will guide you in your search.
When God created you, he made you unique. There is no one else in the entire world exactly like you, with your own set of needs, wants and desires. It’s a good idea to make a list of your “must haves,” and a separate list of your wants and dreams. Be realistic! Needs are not necessarily the same as desires. Few of us can afford all the dreams we might have for a new home.
Before seriously looking for your dream property, spend some time considering a budget for your new home. Land values are rising in Central Texas as building materials and labor costs also continue to increase. What do you have in mind for both land and house? What is the rough cost of the house you have in mind? Get some realistic cost figures for both land and new home construction before you hit the road to find your own dream property.
You may plan on paying cash for your land and home; about 25% of our clients do. The majority, however, will need a construction loan and a mortgage. Before you begin shopping, contact us for a referral to our owner builder loan specialists for a no-obligation prequalification. Once you know how much money you are qualified for, you can wisely begin shopping for land.
A new custom home is all about lifestyle. Where do you prefer to live? Several key items are important.
- Are you looking for the quiet of the country, the convenience of the suburbs or the night life of downtown?
- Are you commuting to work? What is the maximum drive time?
- What is the distance to shopping, church, hospital, restaurants or airport?
- How about distance to golf course, river, lake or hunting lease?
- Distance to friends and family?
- How close do you want to be to the nearest neighbor?
- Are you looking for a distant view? Prefer a view of the Hill Country or the city?
- Do you want farm animals on your new place?
- What about noise from a highway, train, airport or manufacturing facility?
- How much property do you want to maintain?
These are just a few of the questions you should be asking yourself and your family before you start looking for land. BGCH has a special report with more important considerations for your future property. This report may prevent you from making a serious mistake in your new building site. Complete the form below and then scroll down to the bottom of the page to download an informative PDF that will give you other considerations in choosing the site for your dream home.
Fill out the form below and scroll to the bottom of the submitted form to download an informative PDF on where to build your new home.